On rainy days, the only things that sound good to me are comfort foods. Although I usually make apple butter once a year to give out as Christmas gifts, this recipe was too good not to share!
Balsamic Apple Butter
Use any variety of apples you like, I prefer Missouri Jonathan apples or Gala apples. Make a large batch when apples are in season, and seal in jars to add to holiday gift baskets. Vary the flavor of Dove Balsamic vinegar to your taste; for sweeter, richer butters Red Apple, 18 yr Traditional, Cinnamon Pear and Vanilla are excellent choices; to try something a little more tart, experiment with: Honey Ginger, Cranberry Pear, or Sicilian Lemon White Balsamics
- 6 lbs apples; peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Dove Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- Place apples in 6 qt. slow cooker. Pour Dove Balsamic Vinegar over apples. Cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours, until apples are very soft and falling apart.
- Stir apples, breaking up any large pieces with a spoon. Add sugar, continue to cook on low for another 6 to 8 hours until very well caramelized. If there is excess liquid, cook on high for 1 hour with lid removed, scraping down sides occasionally. Puree.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes, or allow to cool to room temperature then refrigerate. Makes 3 ½ - 4 pints.