Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes Difficulty: Easy Servings: 8
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon Dove Basil Olive Oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Dove Natural Butter Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, optional
In a large bowl, combine flour, salt if desired and pepper; set aside 2 tablespoons. Add meat to bowl and toss to coat.
In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, over medium heat, cook the meat in oil until no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, water and reserved flour mixture. Add onion, marjoram and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Add carrots; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in peas. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes for until the vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf.
For dumplings, in a large combine flour and baking powder. Stir in milk, egg, oil and parsley if desired. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering stew. Cover and cook for 12-14 minutes or until done. Do not lift the cover. Serve immediately.