Rather than making the every day classic apple pie, I decided to switch it up a bit by adding some dried fruits and toasted pine nuts. Use your imagination and swap out some of the dried fruits I’ve suggested for whatever suits your palate.
Some great alternatives would be dried pineapple or mango, and you could opt for toasted pecans or coconut for the pine nuts if you wish. I used sweet golden delicious apples, but if you prefer the more tart flavor of granny smith feel free to use those, but you may want to add an extra tablespoon or two of sugar.
- Dove Olive Oil Pastry Crust
- 7 cups peeled golden delicious apples, sliced ¼ in thick
- 7 oz (almost a cup) dried apricots, chopped
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) toasted pine nuts
- 5 oz (about 2/3 cup) dried cherries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. Apple or Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. Heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 425. To toast pine nuts, heat a large heavy skillet over med-low heat. Toast nuts about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Watch them carefully, pine nuts can burn very quickly.
- Line bottom of a 9” deep dish pie plate with ½ of the Dove olive oil pastry crust.
- Toss apples with sugar, spices, and cornstarch.
- Cover bottom of pastry crust with a layer of apples, then sprinkle 1/3 of the dried apricots, 1/3 of the dried cherries, and 1/3 of the toasted pine nuts. Repeat layers until all fruit and nuts are used. Egg wash. Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Using a small cookie or fondant cutter, cut decorative shapes out of reserved pastry crust for top of pie. (or, cut slits in crust after you place it over filling.)
- Fold over edges of crust and crimp to seal. Whisk together egg and cream. Use egg wash to adhere cut outs to top crust, and brush the entire top crust with egg mixture. Sprinkle with sanding sugar and place pie plate on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375. Bake for an additional 40 minutes, covering edges with foil or a pie shield if browning too quickly. Let cool at least 45 minutes before serving. Enjoy!