This loaf is perfect right out of the oven. It has Dove Leccino Olive Oil incorporated in the dough and drizzled over the loaf as it went in, and came out. Upon removing it from the oven, the kitchen was positively perfumed with the fresh, herbaceous notes of this fantastically fresh, olive oil.
The recipe below will work in a bread machine, stand mixer, or with good ol’ fashioned hand kneading. This bread is a fantastic accompanying a hearty stew, or any dish that generates sauce or gravy for dipping.
Leccino Peasant Loaf
- 4 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup potato flour
- 1 tablespoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon light amber honey or granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons + 3 tablespoons Dove Leccino Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- If using a bread machine, add all of the liquid, honey/sugar, salt, and 3 tablespoons of Dove Leccino Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the pan. Then add both flours, followed by the yeast last. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your bread machine if you intend to bake it in the machine.
- If using a stand mixer or mixing kneading by hand, mix and then knead the dough for about 6 minutes. The dough should be very soft, but not sticky. Add more flour, in small amounts as needed to keep the dough from sticking. Allow to rise in a warm spot for about an hour. Lightly punch the dough down, transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment and gently reshape in to a rustic loaf. Cover the dough with plastic wrap lightly greased with Dove Leccino Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Allow the dough to rise for 45 additional minutes
- Preheat the oven to 375 and adjust the rack to the center of the oven.
- Drizzle the loaf with two tablespoons of Dove Leccino Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and bake for about 40 minutes, until golden brown, or a digital thermometer inserted in to the center of the loaf registers 199 degrees. Remove the loaf and immediately drizzle with remaining tablespoon of Dove Leccino Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before before serving. Best served warm!