Nobody has the power to resist a warm, deliciously scented loaf of bread, especially if the bread in question is this Spanish cuisine-inspired focaccia by cooking ala mel.
Whole Wheat Spanish-Style Focaccia
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 tsbp. active dry yeast
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/4 cup Dove Hojiblanca-Intenso Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 5 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
- salt, pepper, to taste
- Dove Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for brushing
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment, stir together the warm water and the honey until the honey is dissolved. Stir in the yeast, and allow to sit for about five minutes, until frothy. Stir in the Dove Hojiblanca Intenso Olive Oil.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the minced garlic, chili pepper flakes, thyme, oregano, sea salt, and pepper.
- Slowly add the flour, stirring until well combined.
- Mix together the spices for the topping, and set aside.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the yeast mixture, mixing on low speed. Once a dough begins to form, increase the speed, and knead until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Place the dough into a Dove Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil coated bowl, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Allow to rise in a warm place, until doubled in size, about an hour. Once doubled, punch out the air from the dough, and allow to rise again, until doubled in size.
- After the second rise, punch the dough down again to release the air. Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface, and cut into three equal pieces with a bench scraper. Form the three pieces into ovals about 1/2 inch thick. Place onto a baking stone (or baking sheet) sprinkled with corn meal to prevent sticking. Brush each loaf with Dove Arbequina Olive Oil, and sprinkle with the topping spices.
- Bake at 425ºF for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool completely before cutting. Store in an airtight container.
Bread can be frozen for up to two months. Makes three loaves.
This amazing recipe and photo was submitted by Cooking Ala Mel.