Here we have a pork chop, also known as schnitzel in German cuisine, pounded to 1/4-inch thick, breaded, and then pan fried in Dove Single Varietal Extra Virgin Olive Oil until golden brown and delightfully crisp.
Baby Arugula-Lemon Pesto…And Some Schnitzel Too
- 4 boneless center cut pork chops, 7-8 oz. each, pounded to 1/4-inch thick (You can substitute boneless, skinless chicken breasts here too!)
- 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Dove Single Varietial Olive Oil for frying. Any of Dove's Single Varietal Olive Oils would work. I used Dove Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- lemon wedges (optional)
- Heat 2 inches of Dove Singe Varietal Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a heavy frying pan, (a seasoned cast iron pan is ideal) until the oil reaches 350.
- Whisk the milk with the eggs and a pinch of salt and add to a shallow pie plate or dish. Add the bread crumbs to a similar shallow dish.
- Whisk the salt and pepper in to the flour and add to another shallow dish. Dredge the pork chops first in the seasoned flour, then in to the eggs (being sure to coat the pork chops completely at every step), and then finally in to the bread crumbs.
- Gently add the pork chops to the heated Dove Singe Varietal Extra Virgin Olive Oil, being careful not to overcrowd the pan, and fry for approximately 3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove each pork chop to a wire rack while frying the remaining pork chops.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges, if desired
Baby Arugula Pesto with Lemon Ingredients:
- 4 cups washed and dried baby arugula
- 1/2 cup Dove Arbequina Extra Olive Oil (any of the Dove Single Varietal Extra Virgin Olive Oils would work)
- 1/3 cup Pecorino Romano
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup blanched, toasted almonds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, or in a blender, and process until smooth. Serve over pasta, with bread, on pizza, bruschetta, with grilled or roasted vegetables, in lasagna, with fish, over beans, etc.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Bring a 4+ quart pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Whisk the eggs with the milk, and the salt with the flour. Add the dry ingredients in to the wet ingredients and whisk until no dry spots remain.
- Add the batter to a spaetzle maker or add to a large colander. If using a colander with larger holes, push the batter through the colander using a spatula in to the boiling water. Boil for about two minutes, and then remove to a bowl and toss with pesto immediately, or a tablespoon of Dove Single Varietal extra virgin olive oil.