Tuscan Herb Cream of Roasted Pepper and Tomato Soup
It’s never too warm for some creamy tomato soup. Whether snuggling up on the cozy couch or sitting in the sun, it’s the perfect combination to make your day fabulous!
- 2 – 28 oz. cans tomato puree
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 large red bell peppers, roasted, seeded, peeled and chopped, or one jar of roasted red peppers, drained & chopped
- 3 tablespoons Dove Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves washed, dried, & torn, reserving 6 small sprigs for garnish
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup grated Romano Cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
In a medium (5+ quart) heavy stock pot, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent, for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute. Add the white wine and reduce by half.
Add the chicken stock, roasted peppers, tomato puree, basil leaves and oregano to the pot. Lower the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the pot from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree the hot soup until smooth and creamy in consistency. Add the heavy cream and Romano Cheese and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve individual bowls of soup drizzled with approximately one teaspoon of olive oil and a sprig of basil. Serve immediately.